Bodies Moved From Imo Mortuaries at Night – Amnesty

Bodies Moved From Imo Mortuaries at Night - Amnesty (News Central TV) Bodies Moved From Imo Mortuaries at Night - Amnesty (News Central TV)
Bodies Moved From Imo Mortuaries at Night - Amnesty. Credit: The Citizen.

Amnesty International has called on Nigerian authorities to urgently account for hundreds of unidentified bodies reportedly being moved from mortuaries in Imo State, warning that evidence must be preserved for any investigation.

The rights group alleged in a statement on Saturday that bodies had been seen at Ngor Okpala General Hospital and Mbieri General Hospital and that some were being moved to unknown destinations.

“Horrifying videos obtained by Amnesty International shows stages of moving the dead bodies at night. Majority of the bodies are at skeletal level and in large numbers,” the group said on X.

Advertisement

Read More

Isa Sanusi, Director of Amnesty International Nigeria, said the authorities must establish the identities and causes of death and explain how the bodies came to be in the mortuaries.

“Imo State Government and relevant authorities must immediately account for all the bodies, establish their identities and causes of death, and explain when, where and how they came to be in the mortuaries and where they are now being taken,” Sanusi said.

“All bodies, mortuary records, medical records and other relevant evidence must be preserved to prevent interference with any investigation.”

Amnesty Denounces US Deportation to Eswatini
Amnesty International Flag. Credit: BBC

He added: “Allegations that some of the deceased may have been victims of unlawful killings during security operations in Imo State must be promptly, independently and impartially investigated.”

Amnesty stated that families of the deceased have a right to know what happened to their loved ones.

The group urged the authorities to ensure proper identification of the bodies and forensic examinations where necessary.

“No body or evidence should be concealed, destroyed, disposed of or otherwise interfered with,” the statement said.

Read More

“Anyone suspected of criminal responsibility for unlawful killings or other human rights violations must be investigated and, where there is sufficient admissible evidence, prosecuted in fair proceedings.”

Amnesty said the authorities must act urgently to establish the truth, preserve evidence and ensure justice and accountability.

“The families of those who died or disappeared have a right to know what happened to their loved ones. The authorities must act urgently to establish the truth, preserve evidence and ensure justice and accountability.”

Author

  • Jimisayo Opanuga

    Jimisayo Opanuga is a web writer in the Digital Department at News Central TV, where she covers African and international stories. Her reporting focuses on social issues, health, justice, and the environment, alongside general-interest news. She is passionate about telling stories that inform the public and give voice to underreported communities.

Share the Story

More From News Central TV

Advertisement

Keep Up to Date with the Most Important News

Weekly roundups. Sharp analysis. Zero noise.
The NewsCentral TV Newsletter delivers the headlines that matter—straight to your inbox, keeping you updated regularly.

×