Several people died in Guinea’s capital, Conakry, on Sunday when a mound of rubbish in a landfill collapsed onto neighbouring homes before dawn following heavy rains, witnesses and local officials said.
Lancine Sylla, the head of the Dar es Salam suburb where the incident occurred, said 18 bodies had been recovered and taken to the morgue.
“We have pulled out 18 bodies that were taken to the morgue,” Sylla told AFP.

Guinea’s Minister for Territorial Administration, Djenabou Toure, who visited the site, said she was waiting for search and rescue operations to finish before giving an official toll.
The government had in recent days ordered the expulsion of people and safety measures around the site because of fears of collapses, according to local sources.
Trending 







