Wike Hails Peaceful FCT Poll, Flags Low Turnout

Wike Hails Peaceful FCT Poll, Flags Low Turnout Wike Hails Peaceful FCT Poll, Flags Low Turnout
Wike Hails Peaceful FCT Poll, Flags Low Turnout. Credit: Punch.

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has expressed satisfaction with the peaceful conduct of the Area Council elections in Abuja, while raising concerns over low voter turnout in parts of the city.

Speaking to journalists after monitoring the exercise, Wike noted that the process had remained calm, crediting security agencies for maintaining order. He said there had been no reports of violence, adding that the general atmosphere across polling areas was peaceful.

The minister, however, observed that voter turnout was significantly lower in the city centre compared to satellite towns, where participation appeared more encouraging. 

Advertisement

He noted that such trends were typical of off-cycle elections, emphasising that the absence of violence remained the most important outcome.

“We thank God that everywhere is peaceful. The challenge we have is low voter turnout, particularly in the city centre, and that has always been the case. But going round to some of the satellite towns, we could see that the turnout is quite impressive.

Mixed Turnout, Logistics Failure Mark FCT Polls.
Wike Hails Peaceful FCT Poll, Flags Low Turnout. Credit: News Central TV

“It is unfortunate in the city that you have a very low turnout, but in an off-cycle election like this, it is always the case. What is important is that the election is peaceful, no violence,” he said.

Wike also commended security operatives for what he described as a commendable performance, stating that they had effectively carried out their responsibilities throughout the exercise. 

He further expressed confidence in the conduct of officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), noting that the electoral process was being properly managed.

Speaking on criticism over movement restrictions, by Ireti Kingibe, senator representing FCT in the National Assembly, Wike clarified that he did not impose a curfew. 

He explained that the directive restricting movement between Friday evening and Saturday evening was issued at the federal level, not by him personally, and noted that similar measures had been implemented during previous elections.

“It is very unfortunate. She should have read my statement carefully. I never imposed a curfew. I said Mr President has said from 8 pm on Friday to 6 pm on Saturday, that movement will be restricted, and this is not the first time,” he said to reporters. 

More than 1.5 million registered voters are expected to participate in the elections across the six area councils-Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC), Bwari, Gwagwalada, Kuje, Abaji, and Kwali, where a total of 68 elective positions, including six chairmanship seats and 62 councillorship positions, are being contested.

Author

Share the Story
Advertisement

Keep Up to Date with the Most Important News

Weekly roundups. Sharp analysis. Zero noise.
The NewsCentral TV Newsletter delivers the headlines that matter—straight to your inbox, keeping you updated regularly.