The Gambian government on Friday expressed “grave concern” over reports that some of its citizens have travelled abroad to take part in armed conflicts, following investigations into the recruitment of African nationals by Russia.
The country’s information ministry, in a statement, said it had learned that Gambians were leaving the country “with the intention of enlisting and participating in ongoing armed conflicts.”
It added that authorities had information indicating that “a number of Gambian nations have tragically lost their lives in such conflicts.”
The conflict in question was not identified in the statement.

But numerous media investigations, including a recent AFP report, have shown how Russia has enlisted men from African nations by promising them well-paying civilian jobs, only to send them to fight on the front lines of Ukraine.
Several African governments have raised similar concerns. Nigeria, Kenya and South Africa have all warned about the fate of citizens reportedly recruited by Moscow.
In November, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiga said at least 1,436 citizens from 36 African countries had been identified among Russian forces.
The Gambian government urged its citizens to “refrain from travelling abroad for the purpose of taking part in armed hostility.”
Trending 