The Kenyan government has demanded the repatriation of its citizens killed or captured while reportedly fighting for Russia in the war in Ukraine, following new intelligence disclosures that more than 1,000 Kenyans are currently involved in the conflict.
Kenya’s principal intelligence agency told parliament this week that over 1,000 nationals are fighting for Russia, an increase from the roughly 200 cited by Foreign Affairs Minister Musalia Mudavadi in November.
The updated figures have heightened concerns over foreign recruitment and national security.
In response, Principal Secretary for Foreign Affairs Korir Sing’Oei met Russian Ambassador Vsevolod Tkachenko in Nairobi on Friday.
“During our talks, I conveyed the Government’s grave concern regarding Kenyan nationals currently caught up in the Russia-Ukraine conflict,” Sing’Oei said in a statement after the meeting on Friday.
Sing’Oei said Kenya had requested unimpeded consular access to its citizens and clear protocols for the repatriation of prisoners of war and the remains of those killed.
“I called for unimpeded consular access to our citizens and sought clear, transparent protocols regarding the repatriation of both prisoners of war and the remains of the deceased,” he added.
“Our priority remains the safety and dignity of every Kenyan abroad. I welcomed the cooperation of the embassy in staving off any illegal recruitment of Kenyans.”

Mudavadi is expected to visit Moscow in March as part of diplomatic efforts to address the issue of Kenyan nationals involved in the war.
Moscow has denied recruiting Kenyans to fight in Ukraine. The Russian Embassy in Nairobi said on Thursday it had noted “a dangerous and misleading propaganda campaign” in the media regarding Kenyans’ participation in the conflict.
Kenyan security officials have attributed much of the recruitment to unlicensed agencies operating in the country. Authorities say some agencies allegedly lure job seekers with promises of security or construction work abroad, only for recruits to end up in combat zones.
Officials added that many recruits travel through other African countries before reaching Russia, complicating monitoring and enforcement efforts.
Governments across Africa and Asia have previously warned citizens against joining the conflict, due to legal and security risks.
Other African nations, including Nigeria and South Africa, have also raised concerns about their nationals recruited by Moscow.
In November, Ukraine’s Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiga said at least 1,436 citizens from 36 African countries had been identified among Russian ranks.
Author
-
Jimisayo Opanuga is a web writer in the Digital Department at News Central TV, where she covers African and international stories. Her reporting focuses on social issues, health, justice, and the environment, alongside general-interest news. She is passionate about telling stories that inform the public and give voice to underreported communities.
Trending 