US Secret Service agents and a Palm Beach County sheriff’s deputy have fatally shot a man armed with a shotgun after he breached the security perimeter of President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida in the early hours of Sunday morning.
The incident occurred at approximately 1:30 am local time (0630 GMT), according to officials. President Donald Trump was in Washington at the time, and the Secret Service later confirmed that no individual under its protection was present at the property when the confrontation unfolded.
Authorities said the suspect, a man believed to be in his early 20s, was spotted near the north gate of the Mar-a-Lago compound carrying a shotgun and a fuel canister. Agents approached the man and instructed him to drop the items. Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw told reporters: “The only words that we said to him was ‘drop the items’ which means the gas can and the shotgun.”

Bradshaw added that the suspect initially put down the fuel can but then “raised the shotgun to a shooting position.” At that point, one deputy and two Secret Service agents discharged their weapons. The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene. No law enforcement officers were injured.
The White House did not issue an immediate response. Officials have not released the suspect’s name as they work to notify next of kin.
The episode is the latest in a series of security incidents involving Trump.
Earlier this month, Ryan Routh, 59, was sentenced to life imprisonment for plotting to assassinate the president at a Florida golf course in September 2024. That conspiracy followed an earlier assassination attempt at a Pennsylvania campaign rally, during which 20-year-old Matthew Crooks fired multiple shots, grazing Trump’s ear before being shot dead by security forces.
Trending 