Former Anambra State Governor, Peter Obi, has been cleared to contest the presidential primary of the Nigeria Democratic Congress(NDC) ahead of the 2027 general election.
Chairman of the party’s National Screening Committee, Sam Egwu, announced the clearance in a video posted on the party’s official X(formerly Twitter) account on Wednesday, following a screening exercise held in Abuja on Tuesday.
Egwu said the committee found that Obi met all constitutional, statutory, and party requirements to contest for the presidency, adding that he was satisfied with the answers provided during the screening process.
Dear Patriotic Nigerians,
Are you ready to take back your country via the ballot? pic.twitter.com/2190dvxi4l— Nigeria Democratic Congress (@NigeriaNDCHQ) May 20, 2026
“This is to certify that, following the screening of His Excellency Peter Obi by the National Screening Committee of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, and having satisfied ourselves that he has complied with all the requirements of the constitution of the party, the Electoral Act, and the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended), dealing with eligibility to contest the presidential election, and having provided satisfactory answers to all questions put to him by members of the committee, he is hereby cleared to contest in the presidential primaries of the party for the 2027 presidential election on dates to be announced by the party,” Egwu stated.

In a separate post on his X account, Obi said that after reviewing his documents and responses, the panel confirmed his eligibility and formally cleared him to participate in the party’s presidential primary scheduled for a later date.
Yesterday, May 19th, in Abuja, I attended the Presidential screening organised by our party, which took over two and a half hours. They carefully reviewed all my documents, including my degree certificates, NYSC credentials, and age declarations.
During the process, I also… pic.twitter.com/OPe3rOKgZ6
— Peter Obi (@PeterObi) May 20, 2026
He noted that the screening lasted more than two and a half hours and covered his academic records, NYSC documentation, age declarations, and questions on his policy vision for Nigeria.
He added that he was subsequently issued his nomination form, which he had previously paid for, following the conclusion of the exercise.
Obi commended the screening committee, describing its conduct as thorough and professional, and praised the party leadership for what he called a transparent process.
“Yesterday, May 19, in Abuja, I attended the presidential screening organised by our party, which took over two and a half hours. They carefully reviewed all my documents, including my degree certificates, NYSC credentials, and age declarations.
“During the process, I also addressed questions regarding my vision for a new Nigeria and the type of leadership our nation urgently needs right now.
“Following this, I was cleared and received the presidential nomination form I had previously paid for,” he said.
“I would like to commend the screening committee, led by former governor Sam Egwu, for their thorough and professional approach. Additionally, I appreciate our party’s leadership for upholding the democratic process,” he added.
The development comes as political parties intensify preparations and realignments ahead of the 2027 general elections.
Trending 