Eight people have been killed and five others injured following a shooting incident by a gunman in Egypt’s southern Assiut province.
Egypt’s Interior Ministry said the shooting took place on Monday in the Abanoub area, where the assailant opened fire from a car at a busy transport hub before he was shot dead.
Initial investigations by Egyptian authorities revealed that the attacker had been receiving treatment at a psychiatric hospital in Cairo. No rationale for the shooting was given.

AFP reported that security forces were dispatched to the scene shortly after reports of the attack emerged. Officers identified a suspect, but he fled to nearby farmland.
The ministry added that police tracked him down and surrounded the area.
When the suspect realised security forces were closing in, an exchange of gunfire followed, during which he was killed, the ministry said.
Videos shared on social media appeared to show ambulances arriving as crowds gathered nearby. One clip showed a man, believed to be the attacker, standing beside an SUV, holding a rifle and wearing a traditional Egyptian galabiya.
Trending 