Asian Football Rift Widens Over Infantino

Asian Football Split Deepens Over Infantino Leadership Crisis (NewsCentral TV) Asian Football Split Deepens Over Infantino Leadership Crisis (NewsCentral TV)
FIFA president Gianni Infantino. Credit: The Standard (HK).

A split within Asian football has deepened after Asian Football Confederation (AFC) president Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim al-Khalifa rejected a challenge from Qatar over the confederation’s decision to join UEFA and CONCACAF in criticising FIFA president Gianni Infantino.

The dispute follows Infantino’s controversial plan to attract private investment into FIFA competitions, including the World Cup, which he withdrew days after announcing it.

The three confederations criticised the proposal in a joint letter last week, declaring that “football belongs to no individual” and calling for greater accountability under Infantino’s leadership.

Advertisement

Read More

Qatar Football Association president Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani reportedly questioned the AFC’s decision to join the statement, saying neither he nor the QFA had been consulted.

The Qatari football chief asked the AFC to explain why no consultation took place and questioned whether the confederation could speak for its 47 member associations.

Asian Football Split Deepens Over Infantino Leadership Crisis (NewsCentral TV)
Asian Football Confederation (AFC). Credit: ASEAN Football Federation.

In a letter seen by AFP on Tuesday, Sheikh Salman rejected the criticism and said his participation in the joint statement was within his powers.

“I categorically reject any suggestion that my participation in the joint statement exceeded my authority or that the AFC erred in participating in it,” the Bahraini said.

“The AFC is the custodian of football in Asia and its president has a responsibility to protect the interests and values of the sport.”

“In circumstances such as those giving rise to the joint statement, it would be inconsistent with that responsibility to remain silent,” he added.

The AFC, UEFA and CONCACAF have continued to criticise Infantino despite his decision to abandon the private investment plan.

Read More

In their joint letter last week, the confederations accused FIFA’s leadership of creating “silence where there should be accountability, distance where there should be openness”.

Infantino has refused calls to step down and received the “full support” of senior FIFA directors during an emergency meeting he called in Morocco two weeks ago.

The growing disagreement between Qatar and the AFC adds another layer to the wider dispute over Infantino’s leadership and the future direction of global football.

Author

  • Deborah Akwa

    Deborah Akwa is a content writer with over four years of experience creating brand stories, editorial content, and audience-focused articles on topics like health, lifestyle, and entertainment.

    When she isn't writing, she is behind the scenes managing editorial operations and helping the content team work better.

    She loves using words to connect brands with their audiences. Outside of work, she enjoys watching movies and engaging in thought-provoking conversations.

Share the Story

More From News Central TV

Advertisement

Keep Up to Date with the Most Important News

Weekly roundups. Sharp analysis. Zero noise.
The NewsCentral TV Newsletter delivers the headlines that matter—straight to your inbox, keeping you updated regularly.

×