France’s former prime minister, Gabriel Attal, has announced his bid for the 2027 presidential election, becoming one of the leading centrist figures seeking to succeed President Emmanuel Macron.
The 37-year-old former prime minister made the announcement on Friday in the southern French village of Mur-de-Barrez, where he presented himself as a new alternative to both the far right and traditional politics.
“I can’t take this kind of French politics anymore, where it’s just 50 shades of managing decline,” Attal said during his speech.
Attal, who became France’s youngest prime minister in 2024 at 34, is widely seen as one of Macron’s political protégés due to his fast rise through the government ranks. His entry into the race creates a strong contest among centrist and opposition candidates ahead of the 2027 vote. Other expected contenders include former prime minister Edouard Philippe and far-right figures Marine Le Pen and Jordan Bardella.

Also, Attal used the launch to connect with voters outside Paris, saying politicians must stay close to ordinary citizens.
“The day we stay locked in Parisian offices, in ministries, is the day politics stops,” he said.
He expressed optimism about France’s future, adding that, “Having travelled a lot in France and met many French people, I’ve come to a conviction a very strong one that our finest chapters are still ahead of us.”
Attal briefly served as prime minister before Macron dissolved parliament in 2024, a move that led to political uncertainty and strengthened the far-right National Rally in parliament. He is known for his outspoken positions.
Attal previously served as education minister, where he introduced policies against school bullying and banned the wearing of abayas in French public schools. The former prime minister has also spoken publicly about experiencing anti-Semitism and homophobia during his life.
Trending 