Cubans Reject Intervention After Castro’s Indictment

Cubans Reject Intervention After Castro’s Indictment (News Central TV) Cubans Reject Intervention After Castro’s Indictment (News Central TV)
Cuba's former President Raul Castro watches a May Day rally in Havana, Cuba May 1, 2025. REUTERS/Norlys Perez/File Photo Purchase Licensing Rights.

A message of defiance has been reverberating across Cuba following the indictment of former president Raúl Castro over the 1996 downing of two civilian planes by the United States.

Cubans have rejected the allegations, describing them as hypocritical and have opposed foreign intervention, while accusing the US of attempting to use the indictment to justify military aggression.

The US accuses Castro of murder and destruction of aircraft over the February 24, 1996, shootdown of two small planes operated by the Miami-based exile group Brothers to the Rescue, which led to the deaths of four men on board.

Advertisement

A 61-year-old government official in Cuba’s capital, Havana, Rolando Mesa, dismissed the indictment.

“Ah, but nobody prosecutes US President Donald Trump. And besides, take the shooting down of those planes, for example. If it had been the other way around, if Cuba had sent those planes into the United States and we flew into Miami, what would happen? They’d shoot us down like clay pigeons with the Patriots. So, what are we talking about?,” he told AP.

A 43-year-old homemaker, Debrezei Barreras, questioned the rationale behind Castro’s indictment.

Cubans Reject Intervention After Castro’s Indictment (News Central TV)
Screen grab from footage broadcast by Cuban official TV on March 13, 2026, showing Cuba’s President Miguel Diaz-Canel speaking next to an image of late Cuban leader Fidel Castro during a meeting with the communist-governed island’s top authorities in Havana. President Miguel Diaz-Canel said on March 13 that Cuban and US officials recently held talks as President Donald Trump’s administration piles pressure on the communist island. (Photo by CUBA TV / AFP) / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE – MANDATORY CREDIT “AFP PHOTO / CUBA TV ” – NO MARKETING NO ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS – DISTRIBUTED AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS

“There’s a different president in power today in Cuba, and I don’t think it’s necessary for anyone to go after a single individual and prosecute them for Cuba to change,” she said.

“I wouldn’t want a military intervention in Cuba, because my daughter is out in the streets, I’m out in the streets too, and I honestly don’t think a military intervention would be a good idea.”

Another Cuban, 38-year-old architect Rodny Amaguer, also rejected foreign involvement.

“I don’t think there’s any need for anyone from the outside to come in and solve problems that Cubans themselves, together with their government, should be capable of resolving. It’s as simple as that,” the architect told AP.

Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel condemned the indictment as politically motivated and accused Washington of attempting to justify possible military aggression against the island.

The 1996 incident, which occurred near Havana after repeated airspace violations by Brothers to the Rescue, hardened US policy toward Cuba for decades.

The group, founded by Cuban exiles, had carried out numerous missions near the island.

The indictments have now revived one of the most contentious chapters in US-Cuba relations.

But on the streets of Havana, many Cubans say they will handle their own affairs without outside prosecutors or foreign intervention.

Author

  • Olayide Oluwafunmilayo Soaga is a Nigerian journalist with four years of professional experience. She reports on health, gender, education and development, with a focus on impact-driven storytelling.

    She was runner-up for the Centre for Journalism Innovation and Development (CJID) Best Solutions Journalism Award in West Africa in 2024 and a finalist for the 2025 West Africa Media Excellence Awards.

Share the Story
Advertisement

Keep Up to Date with the Most Important News

Weekly roundups. Sharp analysis. Zero noise.
The NewsCentral TV Newsletter delivers the headlines that matter—straight to your inbox, keeping you updated regularly.