President Bola Tinubu has assured that victims abducted during the recent attack on schools in Oyo State will be rescued, while condemning the killing of one of the kidnapped teachers, describing the act as barbaric.
In a statement issued on Monday by his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, the President said security agencies were working continuously to rescue the abducted victims and arrest those responsible for the attack.
STATEHOUSE PRESS RELEASE
PRESIDENT TINUBU ASSURES ON RESCUE OF KIDNAPPED VICTIMS IN OYO STATE, CONDEMNS REPORTED KILLING OF ABDUCTED TEACHER
President Bola Tinubu has condemned as barbaric the reported killing of one of the abducted teachers from the Esiele community in Oyo… pic.twitter.com/zBctM3fni3
— Bayo Onanuga, OON, CON (@aonanuga1956) May 18, 2026
Gunmen had invaded the Esiele community in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State on Friday, abducting staff and pupils from Community Grammar School, Baptist Nursery and Primary School, and L.A. Primary School.
Tinubu sympathised with the Oyo state Governor Seyi Makinde, and the affected families. He also commended the intervention of the Inspector-General of Police and security operatives deployed to the area.

According to the statement, the President said the Nigerian Government was collaborating with the Oyo State Government to secure the release of all the victims, adding that the police chief was personally leading a technology-driven rescue operation expected to yield results soon.
Tinubu also said the growing cases of kidnapping reinforced the need for the establishment of state police, urging the National Assembly to speed up legislation on the issue.
“I am saddened by the reported killing of one of the teachers kidnapped by the gunmen who invaded the community. I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken on the matter. I sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims.
“The Federal Government is working with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims. I commend the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara States for their quick intervention and the deployment of a tactical and the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) team to rescue the victims.
“The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law.
“Cases of kidnapping further make imperative the establishment of state police to man some of our underserved areas. The National Assembly should accelerate the enactment of the law creating state police,” the President said.
Governor Makinde had earlier confirmed that seven teachers and an unspecified number of pupils were abducted during the attack. He also disclosed that one of the teachers, believed to be a Mathematics teacher, was killed by the attackers.
Meanwhile, teachers in Ogbomoso on Monday staged a peaceful protest and suspended classroom activities over the incident. The demonstrators demanded stronger security around schools and the immediate rescue of the abducted victims.
Trending 