The bodies of eight migrants have been recovered off Tunisia’s southeastern coast after a boat carrying 15 people capsized, with six others still missing, the national guard said on Sunday.
Rescuers recovered three bodies on Saturday and five more on Sunday following the Friday night sinking about 14 nautical miles from Zarzis, a coastal town near the Libyan border. Only one passenger has been found alive.
“Search operations resulted in the recovery of three bodies yesterday and five bodies today, bringing the total to eight,” the statement said.
Searches for the remaining missing passengers were still ongoing, it added.
Residents of Ben Guerdane, the border city where 14 of the migrants came from, took to the streets on Saturday night, blocking roads and burning tyres to express their anger.

Tunisia’s coastline lies about 145 kilometres from the Italian island of Lampedusa, making it a frequent departure point for migrants attempting the hazardous Mediterranean crossing.
The central Mediterranean route is the world’s deadliest migration corridor, according to the International Organisation for Migration (IOM).
The IOM reported earlier this month that deaths on the route more than doubled in the first four months of 2026 compared with the same period in 2025.
At least 914 people have died or disappeared along the route so far this year.
In 2023, Tunisia signed a 255-million-euro agreement with the European Union, with about half of the funds allocated to curbing irregular migration.
The deal, backed by Italy’s government, was intended to strengthen Tunisia’s ability to stop boats from departing.
Trending 







