A fast-moving brush fire in the Los Angeles suburbs has forced thousands of residents to evacuate after spreading rapidly through parts of Southern California.
The fire, named the Sandy Fire, broke out on Monday morning in Simi Valley, about 40 miles (60 kilometres) northwest of downtown Los Angeles, an area with a population of roughly 125,000 people.
Fanned by winds reaching up to 35 mph (56 km/h), the blaze had grown to about 1,364 acres (552 hectares) by Monday evening, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CalFire).
Authorities said the fire damaged at least one home, though no injuries or deaths have been reported so far.

Evacuation orders were issued for sections of Simi Valley and nearby Thousand Oaks, while several northern Los Angeles neighbourhoods were placed under evacuation warnings.
Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass said residents under warning were not yet required to leave but should remain alert and be ready to evacuate if conditions worsen.
She added that officials did not expect the wildfire to spread into the city of Los Angeles at this stage.
“Under an Evacuation Warning, residents are not required to leave immediately but are encouraged to be alert and be prepared to evacuate if conditions worsen and an Evacuation Order is issued.
“At this time, we do not expect the wildfire to reach the City of Los Angeles,” she said.
CalFire said that despite some weakening winds on Monday evening, conditions remained challenging due to heat, low humidity, and terrain-driven gusts affecting containment efforts.
Trending 