India and the African Union have postponed a summit scheduled for next week in New Delhi following the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
India’s foreign ministry said both sides agreed to delay the Fourth India-Africa Forum Summit due to the evolving public health situation on the continent.
“Mindful of the emerging public health situation on the continent… the two sides agreed that it would be advisable to convene the Fourth India–Africa Forum Summit at a later date,” India’s foreign ministry said.
The summit had been scheduled to be held in New Delhi from May 28 to May 31.
India said it remained ready to support efforts led by the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention to contain the outbreak and strengthen public health responses across Africa.

The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Wednesday that the risk from the outbreak remains high in central Africa, although the global threat level is still considered low.
Health officials believe the virus may have been spreading for months before the latest outbreak was officially declared in eastern DR Congo last Friday.
Ebola, a highly infectious haemorrhagic fever, has killed more than 15,000 people across Africa over the past five decades.
The current outbreak, the 17th recorded in DR Congo, is suspected to have caused 139 deaths from about 600 probable cases.
Delhi’s international airport on Thursday also issued a health advisory for travellers arriving from DR Congo, as well as neighbouring Uganda and South Sudan.
Indian authorities said new dates for the summit would be announced later.
Trending 