Police Rescue 12 Abducted Passengers in Ondo

Police Debunk Ogbomoso Bandit Attack Claims (News Central TV) Police Debunk Ogbomoso Bandit Attack Claims (News Central TV)
Police officer. Credit: Punch.

The Ondo State Police Command has confirmed the rescue of 12 passengers who were abducted by armed men in Isua Akoko, Akoko South-East Local Government Area of the state.

Police spokesperson Abayomi Jimoh said in a statement issued on Saturday that the victims were taken in the early hours of Saturday after gunmen ambushed two commercial buses travelling from Benue State to Ibadan.

He said security operatives responded immediately after receiving a distress call, launching a coordinated rescue operation involving police officers, local hunters and other security officials. 

Advertisement

According to him, the joint team carried out extensive search operations in nearby forests and difficult terrains believed to be the route used by the kidnappers, while intelligence-led tracking continued to locate the suspects.

Jimoh said the sustained operation led to the rescue of 12 victims, including the drivers of the affected buses.

Gunmen Kill Monarch in Ondo Palace Raid
Map of Ondo State. Credit: Guardian.

“The command received a distress report at about 0130hrs that two commercial Hummer buses conveying passengers from Benue State en route Ibadan had been violently intercepted by suspected armed kidnappers. The attackers reportedly forced several passengers out of the vehicles and marched them into a nearby forest.

“Following the report, the police immediately activated a coordinated rescue operation as operatives of the command, alongside local hunters and other security stakeholders, were swiftly mobilised to the scene with the primary objective of rescuing the victims and apprehending the perpetrators.

“Upon arrival, the combined rescue team commenced an intensive bush-combing operation across the surrounding forests and difficult terrains where the victims were believed to have been taken, while intelligence-led surveillance and strategic tracking efforts were simultaneously intensified to trail the fleeing suspects and facilitate the safe rescue of the remaining victims.

“The sustained pressure mounted by the combined security team yielded significant success as 12 kidnapped victims, including the drivers of the affected buses, were successfully rescued alive,” the statement read.  

He added that the rescued passengers have been taken to a medical facility for treatment and support.

Efforts, according to the police, are still ongoing to rescue remaining victims and apprehend the suspects behind the attack.

The Commissioner of Police, Felix Ohagwu, reportedly visited the scene and met with community leaders and vigilante groups as part of the ongoing security response.

Additional tactical and intelligence units have also been deployed to the area to support continued search and rescue operations.

Author

Share the Story
Advertisement

Keep Up to Date with the Most Important News

Weekly roundups. Sharp analysis. Zero noise.
The NewsCentral TV Newsletter delivers the headlines that matter—straight to your inbox, keeping you updated regularly.