Lebanese President Joseph Aoun has said he is ready to “do the impossible” to stop the war with Israel.
In a statement released on Monday, Aoun said ending the war and reducing the suffering experienced by the Lebanese people in the midst of continued violence in southern Lebanon, are his priorities.
“My duty, based on my position and my responsibility, is to do the impossible, and to choose what is least costly, in order to stop the war against Lebanon and its people,” said.
The Lebanese President said that the country’s framework for negotiations includes an Israeli withdrawal, a ceasefire, deployment of the Lebanese army along the border, the return of displaced persons, and economic assistance.
“The framework that Lebanon has set for the negotiations consists of an Israeli withdrawal, a ceasefire, the deployment of the army along the border, the return of the displaced, and economic aid,” Aoun said.
Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Jarjouaa on May 13, 2026. Israel intensified strikes on Lebanon on May 13, with the health ministry reporting 12 people killed in attacks targeting cars, mostly south of Beirut, despite a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (Photo by Kawnat HAJU / AFP)
His remarks follow continued tensions despite the extension of a ceasefire agreement between Lebanon and Israel.
Recall, last week, the truce was extended for 45 days following a third round of talks between Lebanese and Israeli representatives in Washington, discussions to which Hezbollah is opposed, but the ceasefire has failed to stop the violence, with Hezbollah on Monday saying it had fired a drone at a military target in northern Israel.
According to Lebanese authorities, Israeli attacks have killed more than 2,900 people in Lebanon since the start of the war, including more than 400 since the ceasefire took effect on April 17.
Trending 