Uganda has suspended all public transport to the Democratic Republic of Congo, where a deadly Ebola outbreak is spreading, the health ministry said on Thursday.
The measure, which includes ferries and cross-border buses, will last for four weeks. Cargo and food transport are exempt. All flights to the DRC have also been temporarily halted, with the ban taking effect within 48 hours.
“Given Uganda’s proximity to the epicentre and strong cross-border linkages… the risk of further importation remains high,” health ministry permanent secretary Diana Atwine said in a statement.
The virus is suspected to have claimed 160 lives out of nearly 671 probable cases in neighbouring DRC, according to figures published by the National Institute for Public Health on Thursday.

Credit: Reuters
Uganda earlier reported two suspected Ebola cases, one infection and one death, involving Congolese nationals who crossed the border.
However, the health ministry said there are currently no active Ebola cases in Uganda, with a previously suspected case testing negative twice.
The World Health Organisation has declared the latest deadly outbreak an international emergency.
The United States this week stepped up screening of air passengers arriving from the DRC, Uganda and South Sudan. Bahrain also announced a month-long ban on visitors from the three countries.
No vaccine or clinical treatment exists for the Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus responsible for the current epidemic.
Trending 