Iran Links Hormuz Reopening To US Demands

Iran Links Hormuz Reopening To US Demands (NewsCentral TV) Iran Links Hormuz Reopening To US Demands (NewsCentral TV)
Iran's Top Negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf. Credit: BBC.

Iran’s top negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the United States meets Tehran’s demands.

Ghalibaf made the statement on Tuesday during a speech broadcast on Iranian state television, saying Washington must fulfil commitments contained in a June truce agreement.

“I want to state clearly that the Strait of Hormuz will not be opened until the American commitments stipulated in the memorandum of understanding are implemented,” he said.

Advertisement

Read More

Iran’s demands include the removal of a naval blockade, the lifting of oil sanctions and the unfreezing of Iranian assets held abroad. The demands were part of an Iran-US truce reached in June, which later collapsed.

The war between Iran and the United States began on February 28 following US-Israeli attacks on Iran, triggering wider tensions across the region.

Diplomatic efforts since April 8 have stopped the most intense bombardments, but sporadic clashes have continued, particularly around the Strait of Hormuz.

Iran has maintained control over the strategic waterway since the conflict began.

Iran Links Hormuz Reopening To US Demands (NewsCentral TV)
A boat at Suru Beach in Bandar Abbas along the Strait of Hormuz. Credit: Razieh Poudat/ISNA/AFP.

Vessels have been required to seek permission and pay transit service fees, a policy the United States and several regional countries oppose.

The Strait of Hormuz is a major global energy route, making its continued closure a concern for international oil supplies and shipping.

Iran and Oman, which both border the Strait, have been discussing arrangements for navigation through the waterway.

Tehran said the geographical coordinates of the proposed navigation route had been agreed, while Iran said Monday that talks were continuing over a proposed joint statement.

Read More

US President Donald Trump has threatened military action against Oman if it interferes with a deal between Washington and Tehran over the strait. He has also demanded that Iran surrender in the conflict.

Ghalibaf, however, said Iran remained prepared to respond to any further attacks.

“Iran is ready to inflict an even more crushing defeat on the enemy, proportionate to its actions and advances,” he said.

Author

  • Deborah Akwa

    Deborah Akwa is a content writer with over four years of experience creating brand stories, editorial content, and audience-focused articles on topics like health, lifestyle, and entertainment.

    When she isn't writing, she is behind the scenes managing editorial operations and helping the content team work better.

    She loves using words to connect brands with their audiences. Outside of work, she enjoys watching movies and engaging in thought-provoking conversations.

Share the Story

More From News Central TV

Advertisement

Keep Up to Date with the Most Important News

Weekly roundups. Sharp analysis. Zero noise.
The NewsCentral TV Newsletter delivers the headlines that matter—straight to your inbox, keeping you updated regularly.

×