Sa’ar Rejects UK Criticism of West Bank Settlement

Sa’ar Rejects UK Criticism of West Bank Settlement (News Central TV) Sa’ar Rejects UK Criticism of West Bank Settlement (News Central TV)
Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Sa'ar. Credit: Bloomberg.

Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Sa’ar has rejected the United Kingdom’s condemnation of his government’s latest move to advance a settlement project in the E1 area of the occupied West Bank, accusing London of adopting a one-sided position against Israel.

Sa’ar, in a statement posted on X on Thursday, said he “reject[ed] outright the statement of the UK Foreign Secretary and the patronising tone of his words.”

His comments followed British Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband’s condemnation of Israel’s launch of a tender for more than 1,200 homes in the E1 area and the UK’s decision to summon Israel’s chargé d’affaires. Britain has described the development as “unacceptable and destructive” and warned that it threatens the viability of a two-state solution.

Advertisement

Read More

Sa’ar defended Israel’s position, saying, “The Jewish people have the right to live throughout the Land of Israel, just as the British have the right to live in London and throughout the United Kingdom.”

He cited the Balfour Declaration, arguing that it “formally recognised the historic right of the Jewish people to re-establish their national home in the Land of Israel – including in the area in question.”

“Britain itself still controls colonial territories thousands of miles from its shores,” Sa’ar said.

He added: “It is absurd for Britain to lecture the Jewish people about where they may live in their historic tiny homeland, when the Jewish people’s connection and right to this land is the most extensively documented of any people in human history.”

Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Sa’ar
Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Sa’ar’s post on X

Disputes New E1 Decision

Sa’ar also disputed the British government’s characterisation of the latest development as a new decision on E1.

“There have been no new decisions regarding development in E1. The decision was made in 2025,” he said.

He added that “the tender process has been underway for several months, with certain tender documents published only in recent days.”

The E1 project has attracted international opposition because of its location between Jerusalem and the Israeli settlement of Ma’ale Adumim.

Sa’ar Rejects UK Criticism of West Bank Settlement
West Bank. Credit: AFP

Critics say development there would divide the West Bank and undermine the possibility of a contiguous Palestinian state.

The UN has previously described the project as a threat to the two-state solution.

Sa’ar accused the British government of taking a “one-sided” approach in its criticism of Israel.

“The British Foreign Secretary’s statement is entirely one-sided,” he said.

“It condemns Israel while turning a blind eye to Palestinian terrorism, incitement and the Palestinian Authority’s continued financial support for terror – the ‘pay for slay’ policy,” Sa’ar added.

He also linked Britain’s position to rising antisemitism in the country, saying, “The UK Government’s systematic policy of blaming only Israel while ignoring Palestinian extremism has already contributed to a massive wave of antisemitic hatred and attacks against the British Jewish community.”

“Continuing down this path will only make the situation worse,” he said.

Sa’ar described the deterioration in relations as “deeply unfortunate”, but warned that Israel would respond to what he called Britain’s policy of damaging bilateral ties.

“Israel will not be a passive victim of this policy,” he said.

“Israel will defend its rights, its interests and its people.”

The British government has said it opposes Israeli settlement expansion in the West Bank and has warned businesses against participating in construction tenders in E1.

It has also said it is considering further measures to curb settlement expansion.

Author

  • Olayide Oluwafunmilayo Soaga is a Nigerian journalist with four years of professional experience. She reports on health, gender, education and development, with a focus on impact-driven storytelling.

    She was runner-up for the Centre for Journalism Innovation and Development (CJID) Best Solutions Journalism Award in West Africa in 2024 and a finalist for the 2025 West Africa Media Excellence Awards.

Share the Story

More From News Central TV

Advertisement

Keep Up to Date with the Most Important News

Weekly roundups. Sharp analysis. Zero noise.
The NewsCentral TV Newsletter delivers the headlines that matter—straight to your inbox, keeping you updated regularly.

×