An Ebola outbreak spreading across parts of Central Africa has been designated a public health emergency of international concern, with the World Health Organisation warning that neighbouring countries remain at high risk.
The declaration, announced on Sunday, comes after 80 deaths were recorded in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda.
WHO said the Bundibugyo virus strain responsible for the outbreak does not currently meet the threshold for a pandemic emergency.
Three health zones in DRC’s Ituri province, Bunia, Rwampara and Mongbwalu, have reported 246 suspected cases as of Saturday, including eight confirmed by laboratory tests, according to the UN health agency.

In eastern DRC, the M23 rebel group said one case had been confirmed in the city of Goma.
According to CBS News, which quoted unnamed sources from international aid organisations, at least six Americans in the DRC have been exposed to the virus, with three of those contacts being deemed high risk.
One American may have experienced symptoms, according to STAT News. US authorities are attempting to evacuate the people, possibly to a military base in Germany, according to the same outlet, which also cited anonymous sources.
Trending 